What’s it like working on a project with Bramble Workshop? I put together this description of designing and building an installation for Joy (of Oh Joy! blog) because it’s a good illustration of the process. Joy and Emily Henderson (who designed the space) contacted Bramble Workshop because they needed a one-of-a-kind piece that would be the finishing touch for Joy’s new studio space in Los Angeles.
1. Met with Joy and Emily in the unfinished space to look around and determine a good location for an installation. At this point, we weren’t sure what form the installation would take and different options were discussed. We decided that a chandelier/mobile structure hanging above the conference table would be perfect.
2. Joy and Emily shared their Pinterest board for the overall studio design with me so that I could get an idea of their aesthetic direction, palette, etc.
3. I created my own Pinterest board specific to the installation.
4. I put together a proposal for the installation with one main idea and two alternates. The main idea included inspiration images, a sketch, and a prototype to better illustrate my idea.
5. The clients and I agreed on the idea and I made a more detailed sketch and photographed some possible materials to be used.
6. I went to a plastics store and photographed colors of translucent acrylic in Joy’s palette.
7. We decided on the three colors and I found a fabricator that could cut and finish the plexi pieces for me.
8. I worked with a woodworker to cut the wood shims in three different sizes and build frame… Some design changes were made and photos were sent to client for approval.
9. Fabrication of chandelier. Figuring out a way to attach plexi to wood (with such a small surface area) was a challenge. The first fabricator that I met with said that it was impossible, so I found someone else to work with! We figured out the right type of glue and method for gluing (so that the pieces wouldn’t bond to the work surface), and then carefully glued all 90+ pieces.
10. Installation of chandelier